BUDGET AND ACCOUNTS SECTION
This section manages all the expenditures of monographic items and serials, customs and transport, and binding.
1. The budget is allocated within various departments by the University Librarian in consultation with Acquisitions Librarian and Serials Librarian.
2. Allocations are assigned as numbered funds to the various departments within each Faculty and School based on the unit price per book, past expenditures, on-going programs, etc.
3. When items are ordered the fund slip is given a sequential number and the price is recorded. This price is also recorded on the Kardex record cards arranged by departments to keep track of commitments.
4. The invoices received are okayed by the Acquisitions staff and passed over to the Budget and Accounts Section for payment.
5. The staff in this section removes the fund slip from the on-order fund file and records the price, invoice number and date and files the slip in the paid file.
6. The invoice is also recorded in the ledger book and a payment slip is processed for the Comptroller's office for payment, mentioning dealer's name, fiscal year, fund number, invoice number and date, and serial ledger number.
7. All invoices are approved by the University Librarian before being submitted to the Comptroller's Office.
8. Copies of original invoices are filed alphabetically by name of dealer or publisher to be discarded after five years.
9. For Pro-forma invoices for which prepayment is required, a check request form is filled mentioning publisher's name, price, invoice number and date, and fund to be charged.
10. When the check is received, it is recorded in the ledger like a regular invoice and on the fund slip, and then mailed to the publisher.
11. Computer sheets are regularly received from the Comptroller's Office showing the library expenditures processed by the Comptroller. These sheets are verified against the ledger to check for any discrepancy.
12. Statements from dealers and publishers are verified against received invoices; any invoice not received is claimed and discrepancy is follow-up with a letter.
13. Quarterly reports are prepared for internal use.14. Mid-year budget reports, and annual fiscal year reports of commitments and expenditures are prepared to be distributed to the different departments of A.U.B.